On of the biggest misconception regarding nutrition is that, eating healthy is too expensive. This couldn’t be further from the truth. With proper planning and research eating healthy can actually be cheaper than junk food. For those whom have a Fresh Market in there area, they actually make it easy to eat healthy without breaking the bank. Every Tuesday they offer free range, no antibiotic chicken breast for only $2.99 a lb. They also have the Little Big Meal weekly specials which change every week. Basically it is a complete meal for four people for $20. This week the Little Big Meal is for fajitas and includes all of the following:
- CHOOSE ONE: 1 ½ lb Chicken Breast Strips, 1 lb Sirloin Steak Strips, or 1 lb Raw Peeled/Deveined Shrimp (51-60 per pound)
- CHOOSE ONE: 8 oz Simply Organic Simmer Sauce, All Varieties
- CHOOSE ONE: 8 ct La Tortilla Factory Hand Made Style Tortillas, All Varieties
- CHOOSE ONE: 8 oz Regular or Light Daisy Brand Sour Cream
- CHOOSE ONE: 1 lb Texas Caviar or Elote Corn Salad
- GET ONE: Southwest Veggie Kit
These Little Big Meals also bring a recipe card, which are delicious and easy to follow. The recipe below was included with our meal, the only addition was we added a few shrimp.
Steak and shrimp fajitas recipe
- 2 tbsp The Fresh Market Canola Oil, divided*
- 1 lb Sirloin Steak Strips
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 Southwest Veggie Kit
- 1 pouch Simply Organic Classic Fajita Simmer Sauce
- 1 pkg La Tortilla Handmade Style Flour Tortillas
- 1 container Daisy Sour Cream
- Lime, cut into wedges*
- In large skillet, add oil and heat over medium high for 2-3 minutes. Add steak and season with salt and pepper. Cook until crumbled and brown with no pink remaining, about 4-5 minutes. Remove to plate.
- Add remaining 1 tbsp oil to pan and add vegetables from veggie kit. Sauté until lightly browned and slightly tender, about 5 minutes.
- Return steak to pan, reduce heat to medium and add taco simmer sauce to the pan. Simmer until the mixture is warm and bubbling, about 5 minutes.
- While mixture simmers, heat a separate pan over medium high heat. Add tortillas, one at a time, to warm and lightly brown on each side, about 30 seconds – 1 minute per side
- To serve, spoon steak in warm tortillas and top with sour cream and a squeeze of lime.