Today is Meatless Monday, so we opted for a Creamy Split Pea Soup. Split peas are beneficial to your health, they are high in fiber, protein, vitamins and minerals and low in fat. Here are some of the benefits;
- Reduce Cancer Risk: Split peas contain isoflavones (particularly Daidzein) that decrease the risk of developing certain types of cancers,
especially breast cancer and prostate cancer. Basically, isoflavones are a type of plant estrogens, so they mimic the hormones in the body.
- Lowers Cholesterol Levels: Split peas are a good source of soluble fiber. In fact, taking a small cup of split peas in your daily diet can provide
approximately 65% of the daily recommended value of fiber in your diet.
- Regulates Blood Sugar Levels: The soluble fiber present in this low glycemic food slows down the absorption of sugars and hence helps release
glucose slowly and steadily, thereby preventing a spike in blood sugar. Yet, it provides a sufficient and steady supply of energy.
- Improves Cardio Health: Split peas are good for your heart as they help reduce plaque in your blood vessels and hence prevent cardiovascular disease.
Needless to say, the soluble fiber in this food lowers your blood cholesterol levels, thereby reducing the risk of developing heart disease, too.
- Promotes Weight Control: Being rich in fiber and protein, split pea can help you a great deal in your weight loss efforts. Even a small portion of this food is
filling as it makes you feel fuller for longer.
CREAMY SPLIT PEA SOUP RECIPE
Serving Size: 2
– 1 cup of Green Split Peas
– 2 cups of water
– 8 garlic cloves
– 1 cup cottage cheese fat free
– Himalayan pink salt
– 1 stalk of green onion chopped
– 1 tablespoon of chopped Italian parsley
– some sesame seeds
1- Before cooking always examine, sort and rinse well to assume maximum bonus of this natural product.
2- Combine 1 Cup of peas and garlic with two cups of water in a pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover with lid and simmer for 25 to 35 minutes until tender.
3- Remove from heat and drain 90% of the water from the pot.
4- Transfer to a blender and add the cottage cheese, a pinch or two of salt period and blend until creamy.
5- Pour onto your bowl and top it with the green onions, sesame seeds and parsley.
Tip: you can omit the cottage cheese for a Vegan Friendly Dish.